Unfortunately, trying to fall asleep can sometimes be a grueling task even when you know you have to get up early the next morning. Even though some are busy with mobiles before bed or thinking about something. Here is the trick for those who takes hours to fall asleep after hitting the bed.
This seems to be easy but don’t criticize without giving a try. The exercise is called the “4-7-8” technique, and Dr. Andrew Weil calls it a “natural tranquilizer for the nervous system.” Here are the tips to perform this breathing exercise like a pro.
How to Do The “4-7-8” Exercise:
Dr. Weil describes that this exercise is very simple and can be completed anywhere. Also, it won’t take long and you don’t need any equipment. This breathing trick will help you get to bed sooner.
Steps to do 4-7-8 Exercise:
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
- This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
The unique thing about this exercise is as soon as you start the practice, the next thing you remember is waking up in the morning and can’t even remember beginning the 4-7-8 count the night before.
Advantages Of 4-7-8 Exercise:
- The technique will effectively slow your heart rate and increase oxygen in your bloodstream, and may even make you feel slightly light headed which contributes to the mild sedative-like effect.
- This breathing exercise will calm the mind. Dr. Weil advises you to focus on keeping the ratio correct and inhaling/exhaling deeply every time.
- This also helps in relaxation of overall central nervous system because you are controlling the breath versus continuing to breathe short
Beyond bedtime, Dr. Weil recommends performing this exercise whenever dealing with a stressful situation. What are you waiting for give it a try and get benefited with early sleep.
Asleep in 60 Seconds: 4-7-8 Breathing Technique
You can do this to a maximum of 8 breath cycles. After 2 to 3 months you can experiences significant changes in your health condition as well.