Despite the progress in the liberalism and modernization, there are some new laws that are grabbing out the individual freedom of expression. After mandating the national anthem in cinema halls, it looks like the government might come up with some new laws that further shrinks the democracy.
Meanwhile, the congress MP Ranjeeta Rajan now came out with a private bill which restricts the number of guests one can invite to the marriage, dishes served and the money that can be spent on the wedding ceremony, any amount spent more than the cap will be granted to the poor girls for their education benefits.
Now, as the Congress party is not on the ruling side, the power of executing this law will be in the hands of BJP, any bill proposed by the non-ruling part will be called as a private bill. One must not worry about this bill because more than 96% of such bills will lapse even before the debate in the legislative assembly and out of remaining 4% few will be implemented.
Coming to the verdict of the bill, it should be understood that if a family spends above Rs.5 lakh on a wedding, it has to contribute 10 percent of a number of marriages of girls from poor families.
According to the bill “Great importance should be assigned to the solemnisation of marriage between two individuals. But unfortunately, these days, a tendency of celebrating marriages with pomp and show and spending lavishly growing in the country.”
It further read “These days, marriages are more about showing off your wealth and as a result, poor families are under tremendous social pressure to spend more. This is needed to be checked as it is not good for society at large.”
This is quite a visionary idea, however, though it cannot be called as an ideal one as it sounds like an authoritarian and non-democratic appeal.
People slammed the bill on social media.
Read tweets here:
— Alok Jain (@rohiniglobal) February 15, 2017
— Siddharth Aryan (@ISIDDHARTHARYAN) February 15, 2017
@yoginisd Bill introduced by Cong MP Ranjeet Ranjan, wife of MP Pappu Yadav. ☺ Who rides a Harley Davidson. Charity shud begun from home.
— Dr Shobha (@DrShobha) February 15, 2017
Now this is getting way out of hand! Are we heading towards communism or dictatorship? https://t.co/ipMOBrrVRq
— Sandy Boy! (@ssingapuri) February 15, 2017
Marraige expense control Bill introduced by Congress MP Ranjeet Ranjan, wife of MP Pappu Yadav. Now they also want to control how we live
— Mukkesh Gandhi (@MKGJain) February 16, 2017
When web desk screws up headlines- Bill moved by Cong MP Ranjeet Ranjan, headline says Modi govt. Crowding keywords for SEO 🙂 pic.twitter.com/V0YxGFKhtu
— JENCY JACOB (@jencyjac) February 15, 2017
This is funny, because Ranjeet Ranjan, rides a Harley Davidson to Parliament and even better she is the wife of… https://t.co/LhN2AbQSIV
— Rudy (@carnaticdude) February 16, 2017
Cap on wedding expenses? Are we going back to socialism? What happened to free market and globalization?
— DP SATISH (@dp_satish) February 16, 2017
Is it constitutional 2decide hw many ppl we cn invite fr our wedding & hw much we cn spend???https://t.co/6VqNvYQF4X
— Bhairavi Goswami (@bhairavigoswami) February 15, 2017