School buses are quite easily recognized wherever they might be. We might have often wondered why are they in such a color. First of all, School bus’ yellow is not pure yellow. Instead, it is a mix of yellow and orange, similar to the color of the flesh of a mango.
After some research, we came up with the reasons for using this characteristic color:
- Many people believe that red is the most attention-grabbing color but in fact, yellow gets your attention faster than any other color.
- Even when you are looking straight ahead, you can see a yellow object that is not in front of you “in the corners of your eyes” much sooner than any other color even red. Scientists describe this as follows: “Lateral peripheral vision for detecting yellows is 1.24 times greater than for red.”
- Many experts also point out that colors such as yellow or greenish-yellow are more visible to the human eye under dimmer conditions compared to red.
- If there’s fog or any kind of bad weather, drivers will still be able to see yellow cars and any moving vehicle fairly well.
- Not only are school buses yellow, but also many earth-moving, road-building and other outdoor machines are yellow because you could get hurt if you accidentally run into one of them. Many accidents occur in farms and outdoors because the victim saw the moving object too late. If it’s yellow, you have a strong warning!