Dog Owner Dies After Catching Rare Infection When He Was Licked By His Pet Dog

A 63-year-old dog owner died after catching a rare infection when he was licked by his pet pooch.

The 63-year-old dog owner, whose identity was not shared with the public, was completely healthy before the incident happened.

According to reports, the man contracted the devastating disease after he was licked by his dog.

The 63-year-old man spent over 2 weeks in a hospital with a number of conditions that were caused by the rare infection.

The man had to go through a rare infection which includes pneumonia, gangrene, and high fever.

The man was later diagnosed with Capnocytophaga Canimorsus, a type of bacteria that is transmitted by bites or a simple lick on the skin by a dog.

Initially, the 63-year-old man was admitted to a hospital with flu-like symptoms which includes a fever and labored breathing.

Unfortunately, when the old man started his medical treatment, he already contracted severe sepsis. This left him in intensive care.

The case of the 63-year-old man is also mentioned in the European Journal Case Reports in Internal Medicine.

In his first 4 days in the hospital, the man’s condition significantly worsened.

The man started to have a rash on his face, nerve pain, and started to have bruises on his legs.

The kidneys and the liver also started to shut down, his blood started to clot, and his skin eventually started to rot.

All of those complications led to a cardiac arrest.

The doctors resuscitated him after his heart stopped working, and he was placed on life support.

According to the doctors, the Capnocytophaga Canimorsus is triggered by bites.

The doctors that were treating the 63-year-old man were surprised to find out that he contracted the Capnocytophaga Canimorsus virus through licking alone.

The team that was treating the 63-year-old man was being led by Dr. Naomi Mader, said, “Pet owners with flu-like symptoms should urgently seek medical advice when their symptoms exceed those of a simple viral infection, which in this case were [breathing problems and rash].”

Dr. Naomi added, “Physicians confronted with such patients should ask about contact with dogs and cats.”

The condition of the 63-year-old man worsened after his cardiac arrest.

The man eventually developed a fungal infection in his lungs and contracted pneumonia, blisters over his body, and gangrene in his fingers and toes.

He also contracted MRSA.

Doctors did scans on his brains, and the scans revealed that he had a massive build-up of fluid in his brain.

The fluid did permanent damage to his brain.

After spending 16 days in the hospital, the family of the 63-year-old man decided to stop life support.

The man then passed away afterward.

FacebookTwitterInstagramPinterestLinkedInGoogle+YoutubeRedditDribbbleBehanceGithubCodePenEmailWhatsappEmail
×
facebook
Hit “Like” to follow us and stay tuned for the latest news