63-Year-Old German Man Dies After Being Licked By His Pet Pooch

A 63-year-old man from Bremen, Germany, died from a very rare infection that he developed after his pet dog licked him.

Doctors listed his death and case in the European Journal of Case Reports in Internal Medicine.

According to the report, the 63-year-old man, whose identity was not shared with the public, was completely healthy before the lick.

After being licked by the pooch, the man got a fever, started to have breathing problems, leg pain, and a rush of purplish-red splotches on his face and legs.

The man was placed in the Intensive Care Units when doctors found out that his organs started to fail.

Doctors used strong antibiotics and other efforts to save the man, but his condition and health were deteriorating at a very fast rate.

The doctors that were handling the case of the man determined that he was infected with Capnocytophaga canimorsus, a bacterium that is commonly found in the mouths of dogs and cats.

The Capnocytophaga Canimorsus bacteria cause no harm to animals or their owners.

Human infection is mostly caused by animal bites, but not licks.

The patient’s pet licked him during the weeks before he fell ill, he had not been bitten or otherwise injured by the dog.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says those most at risk for Capnocytophaga canimorsus infections are people whose immune systems are compromised or those people who drink alcohol excessively.

The man in Germany had neither of those risk factors and had only been licked by his pet pooch. The small factor exposed him to the bacteria, which was enough to send him into a deadly septic shock that eventually led to his death.

FacebookTwitterInstagramPinterestLinkedInGoogle+YoutubeRedditDribbbleBehanceGithubCodePenEmailWhatsappEmail
×
facebook
Hit “Like” to follow us and stay tuned for the latest news