62-Year-Old Minnesota Woman Mauled To Death By Black Bear While Looking For Her Dogs On Rainy Lake Island

62-year-old Catherine Sweatt-Mueller of Maple Plain, Minnesota, was mauled to death by a black bear on a remote island in Ontario.

Catherine was staying at a cabin located on Red Pine Island in Rainy Lake, which is located at the US-Canada Border.

Catherine was staying at the cabin with her parents, who are in their 80s when the incident happened.

The parents of Catherine said that their daughter went outside the cabin to investigate when she heard her 2 dogs barking outside. Catherine did not return back to the cabin, so her parents decided to go outside and find their daughter.

The parents of Catherine called the police after they shot the bear that mauled their daughter.

The parents said the bear was standing over the dead body, which was partially-eaten, of Catherine.

Vonnette Mills, a family friend of Catherine’s family, said the Swaett-Mueller’s loved to visit the lake seasonally.

During her interview with ABC5, Mills said, “All I can say is wow. It’s heartbreaking. It sounds like something so rare, that doesn’t happen, we’re kind of in shock.”

Authorities informed everyone on the island about the attack.

Jolanta Kowalski, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry of Ontario, said a bear attack in the province is very rare.

Andy Tri, a wildlife biologist from Minnesota, said black bears fear humans naturally.

During her interview with The Star Tribune, Tri said: “if you come across a bear in the woods and make noise, they’re going to spook off and leave.”

The remote location of the island posed a challenge to provincial officers from Fort Frances, who was sent to the remote island to look for Catherine.

Their boat arrived 30 minutes after they were informed about the incident.

Jim Davis, the Provincial Police Constable of Ontario, said it took a while for search crews to locate Catherine.

Eventually, the search crew saw the black bear, aged around one to 2 years old, standing of her remains.

Constable Davis said the search crew also heard another fully-grown female bear growling and stomping.

The Natural Resources and Forestry Ministry of Ontario is going to decide if they would kill or capture the bears involved in the incident.

Hit “Like” to follow us and receive latest news