A man was nearly left blinded after getting bitten by a black widow spider, which is one of the deadliest and poisonous creatures on planet earth.
Nicholas Cook, the 30-year-old man from Denver, Colorado, said he woke up one day with a burning sensation on his face.
Upon looking at it, he saw 2 gaping wounds on his cheek.
Fast forwards to 2 days, he noticed another painful wound on his belly.
At that time, Nicholas said that he had no clue on where the injuries came from and expected them to fade away, so he ignored them.
But all his hopes went south.
48 hours after that thought, the wounds on the face and belly of Nicholas had doubled in size and had been oozing with puss.
Getting scared of what happened, Nicholas went to the emergency room right away to get himself checked.
His symptoms had quickly worsened and he started suffering chills and a cold sweat.
Upon further investigation, doctors informed the poor lad that he had been bitten by a Black Widow Spider.
The doctors did not give him medication and antivenom, so they sent him home with pain relief.
Recalling the incident, Nicholas said:
“I awoke to a searing burning sensation that was comparable to a hornet sting, but did not subside, and felt like it was slowly expanding, coupled with swelling with it. The one on my stomach happened two days after, and it started as just a small bump but turned into that within 48 hours. I took Benadryl and put an icepack on it, having an extreme dislike for hospitals and medical bills from almost a decade ago still haunting me, I decided to wait and research what exactly had happened. It didn’t take long to deduce that I had been bitten by a poisonous spider, if you looked close you could see two small dots in the centre of the swelling. The pain had not subsided nor was the swelling slowing down so I went to the closest Emergency Room. After filling out a questionnaire on why I was needing help, a nurse soon came in to see the bite, jotted down a couple of things and informed me that the doctor would be in shortly. I was experiencing a cold sweat and chills and the pressure from the swelling was so horrible at this point.
“I wanted nothing more than to have it relieved. The doctor comes in and informs me that they have no specific medicines or antivenom available for a Black Widow bite specifically. Instead they could provide pain relief and a handful of prescriptions to combat swelling and the other symptoms. I asked if lancing it was needed, with the doctor saying it wouldn’t be necessary at the time and to come back if the symptoms worsened or didn’t drain on its own.
Nicholas is now asking others to clean their houses so they could make sure that there are no deadly insects living inside their houses.
Talking about his recovery, Nicholas said:
“The recovery was an eye-opening experience. It took a week of constant attention and care to make sure it was healing. I have developed a phobia to spiders, spider eggs, and other creepy insects like centipedes, along with a need to make sure there isn’t any way for them to crawl into my bedroom.”
Black widows are considered to be the most venomous spider In North America.
It is said that the venom of the Black Widow Spider is 15 times more potent than a rattlesnake’s.