A Chinese man, whose identity was not shared with the public, went to the doctors with complaints of itchy skin and stomach ache.
Doctors that were treating him asked him to go for a scan, which later revealed that his entire body had been infected with tapeworm.
It is believed that the man got the worms in his body after he ate too much sashimi, which are raw slices of fish.
Doctors believe that the patient consumed uncooked sashimi.
The unnamed patient was treated at Guangzhou No.8 People’s Hospital in Guangdong Province in Eastern China.
Recent studies show that eating raw or undercooked fish can lead to a number of parasitic infections.
Tapeworm infections occur after ingesting the larvae of diphyllobothrium, a type of larvae that are found in freshwater fish.
Cases like these have been increasing in rural areas due to improved sanitation, cases have also increased in developed countries.
Due to the large popularity of sushi, the number of cases like these is increasing.
A study author in the Canadian Family Physician said, “The widespread popularity of Japanese sushi and sashimi (slices of raw fish) is a contributor.”
Nancy Craig, the author of the study added, “But other popular dishes might also be implicated, such as raw salted or marinated fillets – which originate from Baltic and Scandinavian countries – carpaccio – very thin slices of raw fish common in Italy, raw salmon and ceviche – lightly marinated fish.”
Dr. Yin of Guangzhou No.8 People’s Hospital said that eating uncooked food that can be contaminated with tapeworm eggs can eventually cause cysticercosis. This happens when adult tapeworms enter a bloodstream of a human being.
This type of infection becomes life-threatening, especially if the tapeworms reach the brain of human beings.
The Chinese man who had severe tapeworm infection in his body was saved by the doctors at the Guangzhou No.8 People’s Hospital in Guangdong Province in Eastern China.