Cargo Ship Carrying 43 People And 5,800 Cows Sinks During Typhoon

A cargo ship that was carrying around 43 crew members and 5,800 cows have gone missing in rough seas that were caused by Typhoon Maysak.

A survivor that was rescued said that the vessel sank as Typhoon Maysak hit them.

On August 14, 2020, the Panamanian-registered Gulf Livestock 1 left New Zealand and was headed to the Port of Jingtang in Tangshan, China.

The cargo ship was supposed to reach the port on September 4, 2020.

The crew had 39 Filipinos, 2 Australians, and 2 New Zealanders.

Things went south for the people in the ship and what they were brought after they rant into the stormy conditions in the East China Sea.

The meteorological agency of Japan said that the Typhoon Maysak is the third-largest typhoon that hit the country since records began 70 years ago.

NHK, a public broadcaster, said that the ship sent a distress call to the Japanese Coastguard at around 12 am on Wednesday from the East China Sea, which is to the west of Amami Oshima Island in south-west Japan.

Chief Officer Eduardo Sareno from the Philippines was the first one that was rescued by the authorities.

He was rescued off the coast of Japan on Wednesday after surveillance aircraft spotted him in the water wearing a life vest waving up to be rescued.

Sareno, who is 45, said that the ship capsized before it sank.

Yuichiro Higashi, a spokesman for the Japanese Coastguard’s regional headquarters said that the ship lost an engine before it got hit by a massive wave, which caused it to capsize.

When this happened, members of the ship were told to put their life jackets on.

Sareno said that he went straight into the water as the boat started to go under.

According to Sareno, who is currently recovering in a hospital in Japan, not everyone in the cargo ship heard the instructions to wear their life jackets.

On the morning of Friday, search teams found a second crew member floating, unconscious, near the Amami Oshima Island of Japan.

He was brought to a hospital in Japan, however, he passed away.

A third man, a Filipino, was discovered in a life raft on Friday afternoon, 2 kilometers away from the Kodakara Island.

Jay-Nel Rosales, the 30-year-old Filipino, was brought to a hospital.

Reports suggest that he is walking and talking.

A search and rescue operating are still going on to find more survivors from the boat.

Hit “Like” to follow us and receive latest news