Eternal beauty Sridevi turned 50 today. Sridevi proved her mettle across languages, from Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada and Hindi films, and gave hit after hit in a career spanning decades. Though her first film Solva Saavan (1978) proved to be a dud, it was with her second movie opposite Jeetendra, Himmatwala (1983) with which she announced her arrival in Tinseltown. Her first ever appearance in a Hindi movie was Julie iin 1975 when she played younger sister of the heroine, Laxmi.
Even at this age Sridevi is getting the offers to play the main lead in the movies. Her comeback movie English Vinglish was not only successful at the Box-Office but also won the critical acclaim. On her birthday we bring here 12 unknown facts about the timeless beauty Sridevi.
Must Read: SriDevi and RajaniKanth movie competition
Birthday Special: 12 Unknown Facts About Sridevi
1. She was named Shree Amma Yanger Ayyapan upon birth.
2. She started her career at the age of four in Thirumugham’s devotional film, Thunaivan.
3. Sridevi hates to celebrate her birthday.
4. The first time Sridevi dubbed her dialogues in Hindi was for Yash Chopra’s movie Chandni. 3. Sridevi’s father was a lawyer and her mother tongue is Tamil.
5. She has also acted as a child artist in the film, Julie. She made her Bollywood debut as a lead star with the film Solva Saavan in 1978.
6. Jaya Prada was considered to be Sridevi’s strongest contender at that point of time. Their fierce competition was one of the worst kept secrets ever.
7. Sridevi was the first choice for Indra Kumar’s Beta. She was supposed to star opposite Anil Kapoor in the film but declined the offer because she had already done a string of films with the actor. The role then went to Madhuri Dixit who became a superstar overnight after the film’s success.
8. She is the first female actress to have earned the tag of being a superstar.
9. Sridevi was also considered for a role in Jurassic Park. Steven Spielberg wanted to cast her for a brief role. But she was at the peak of her career in Bollywood then and had rejected the offer.
10. Jeetendra and Sridevi emerged as one of the most popular on-screen couple of their times. They were paired romantically opposite each other in as many as 16 films, out of which 11 films were superhit.
11. In 2013, the Government of India awarded Sridevi with the prestigious Padma Shri Award. She was also voted ‘India’s Greatest Actress in 100 Years’ in a CNN-IBN national poll conducted in 2013 on the occasion of the Centenary of Indian Cinema.
12. According to a report on Bollywoodlife.com, Sudeep has squashed rumours of a liplock with Sridevi in Illayathalapathy Vijay’s next film.
Rare & Unseen Pictures of ‘English Vinglish’ Actress:
1. Sridevi Childhood Pic
2. Sridevi with the cast of her film ‘Roop ki Rani Choron ka Raja’. The movie in which she was seen opposite her brother-in-law Anil Kapoor was released in the year 1993.
3. We have never seen her in a swim wear. Sridevi enjoying a beach vacation with husband Boney Kapoor and daughters Jahnavi and Khushi.
4. Sridevi with her mother Rajeswari, father Ayyapan and sister.
5. A very old picture of Sridevi with ace filmmaker Yash Chopra.
6. A lovely picture of the couple holidaying in Switzerland
7. The actress poses for a selfie with elder daughter Jahnavi
8. Always known to do something different, the ‘English Vinglish’ actress poses with her daughters and husband dressed in traditional Japanese dress during her visit to Tokyo.
Sridevi will soon be seen in the Vijay-starrer Tamil film Puli where she plays a warrior princess. Join us in wishing her a very happy birthday and share your favourite role of Sridevi in the comment box below.