Sri Lanka Bomb Blasts 2019: 8 bomb blasts were reported in Sri Lanka today, 3 churches in Colombo, Negombo, and Batticaloa were targeted during the Easter Sunday services.
Hotels like the Shangri-La, Cinnamon Grand, Kingsbury, and a fourth hotel in Colombo were also targeted.
A curfew has been made in the region starting from 18:00 to 06:00 local time (12:30-00:30 GMT).
Officials have arrested 7 people so far.
The Government of Sri Lanka has also placed a temporary block on all major social media platforms.
No group has claimed the responsibility for the attacks, the defense minister of Sri Lanka says that they were probably carried out by a single group.
Ranil Wickremesinghe, The Prime Minister of Sri Lanka, tweeted, “I call upon all Sri Lankans during this tragic time to remain united and strong. Please avoid propagating unverified reports and speculation. The government is taking immediate steps to contain this situation.”
The Prime Minister of the UK, Theresa May called the bomb blasts as “appalling”.
The Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, said that those people who were affected by the bomb blasts will be in the prayers of millions of people from around the world.
The Archbishop said, “On this holy day, let us stand with the people of Sri Lanka in prayer, condolence, and solidarity as we reject all violence, all hatred and all division.”
The Health Ministry’s Director-General of Health Services, Dr. Anil Jasinghe, said that 185 people have passed away in the bomb blasts, the government is still to confirm the numbers of the death toll.